Complaint Against a Service United States

Child support enforcement — Interstate arrearages dispute

In 1994 I was divorced in GA and orderd to pay child support.I got behind on payments when In 1995 I moved to TN. GA sent papers ordering TN to modify the child support payments.TN did as ordered, lowered my payments based on my income, garnished my paycheck, set up a repayment plan for the $3000 in arrearages and I paid my child support as TN ordered until my child turned 18. My taxes were offset for the $3000 in arrearges I owed as well in addition to asmall amount coming out of my paycheck weekely going towards that.GA kept sending me notices over the years that my taxes were offset for arrearages and that my refund was being held but the amount of arrearages kept getting bigger and bigger instead of going down.I called GA and learned that they refused to recognize the TN modified order.I disputed it several times but never could get any help.Ga refuses to call you back and is very unprofessional to deal with. After my child turned 18 and child support was supposed to stop I recieved a letter from GA saying I owed over $15, 000 in child support arrearages and that a new income withholding from wages order would be issued on my paycheck unless I disputed within 10 days. I did dispute and sent back the letter of dispute form certified mail requesting a hearing in March 2010 but never heard any response.I also went to my local TN child support office and disputed and they told me I did not owe the arreareges because they had a court order showing that GA requested the modifications be made and TN did as instructed.She gave me a copy of the order to fax GA proving it. I was planning to go to the hearing in Ga and present them with the court order but they have yet to contact me with a date or time.Instead I just recieved a letter from Ga saying I am past due on my child support arrearges yet they still have not given me a hearing.The garishment is still on my paycheck and has never been lifted even though my child is 18 and Ga sent a letter to me telling me support would end. My income taxes are still offset as well so I phoned my local child support worker and she called Ga and spoke to a customer service rep with the child support office there and was told we never disputed the arrearages despite us sending them a certified letter disputing it and despite proof that they recieved my dispute. She told me GA said I was not fighting the arrearages and that I must owe them because im not fighting it.Basically GA is playing hardball and refusing to recognize the TN order and my case worker in TN said that I need to send them the court order showing them in black and white that they requested the child support be modified and to call them everyday and if they don’t fix this then I need to file a complaint with the government in GA if need be.She seemed confident that I should not need an attorney to do this because Ga is in the wrong by not following a court order they sent requesting modifications be made but that I just had to stay on them. I have the court order from Ga that specifically ordered TN to modify the payments yet they won’t recognize it. Is this legal and is my TN case worker right? I followed the TN order and based on that order I have actually over paid what I was ordered to pay because my taxes have been offset for 15 years.My local Tn child support case worker told me that Georgia has to follow the law that was in place in 1995 when they ordered TN to modify the existing order and they are not recognizing it because the child support laws have changed since then and Georgia is aparently following the new law.How can they do that? How can GA order Tn to make modifications and then not recognize them when they are the one’s ordering it? What can i do to fight this without an attorney. I can’t afford one. I am upset because they are ignoring my dispute by no giving me a hearing and I am upset that I following the law and paid support for 18 years yet it’s not be recognized.